- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups diced, unpeeled red potatoes
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup low-fat shredded cheese
In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute two to three minutes. Add the carrots, red potatoes and broccoli one at a time. Saute each about two minutes.
Add Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and flour and toss until vegetables are coated. Cook one to two minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove lid and stir in the half-and-half. Bring back to a simmer and remove from heat. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese to serve.