- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup uncooked quick grits
- 1 cup 2%, shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces country ham, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat 13x9x2 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Sauté broccoli, onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes until vegetables are tender. About 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat milk to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly, whisk in grits. Reduce heat and stir continuously until thickened. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cheese.
- Remove from heat, stir in ham, broccoli mixture, cheese, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix until well blended. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes, or until top is set and lightly puffed.
Yield: 16, 1/2 cup servings.
120 calories, 3.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 370 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 9 g protein.
Buying Kentucky Proud is easy. Look for the label at your grocery store, farmers’ market, or roadside stand.
SEASON: May through early July, October through mid-November.
NUTRITION FACTS: Broccoli is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and phytochemicals, all of which have health benefits.
SELECTION: Choose tender, young, dark green stalks with tightly closed buds. One-and-a-half pounds of broccoli will yield 4 half-cup servings.
STORAGE: Store broccoli, unwashed, for not more than 3 to 5 days, in a perforated plastic bag in the refrigerator. Wash broccoli just before using.
PREPARATION: Wash broccoli under cold running water. Trim the leaves and peel the stalk.
- To steam: Place on a rack above boiling water and steam for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- To boil: Place in a saucepan with 1 inch of boiling water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- To microwave: Place broccoli in a microwave-safe dish. Add 1 inch of water and cover with a glass lid or plastic wrap. Microwave for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Kentucky Proud Project County Extension Agents for Family and Consumer Sciences University of Kentucky, Dietetics and Human Nutrition students March 2013
Educational programs of Kentucky Cooperative Extension serve all people regardless of race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, or national origin. For more information, contact your county’s Extension agent for Family and Consumer Sciences or visit the College of Agriculture Food and Environment website.