Employment Application – Installation and Repair Technician
Job Title: Install/Repair Technician
Date Prepared / Reviewed: 7/2012 / 9/2020
Supervisor Title: I & R Supervisor
Salary Range: T2
Working Status: Fulltime
Installs, maintains and services customer traditional TDM premises equipment, advanced Digital Subscriber Line (DSL), ATM & IPTV video services, VoIP, and other data and telecommunications related products and services as required. Installs, configures and maintains equipment required to deliver advanced digital / hybrid / fiber services to the customer premises including but not limited to FTTH, ONT’s and battery backup, DSL modems, wireless / wired routers, surge protectors, and other advanced networking devices as required. Typically installs drop wires, station protectors, network interface devices, HDMI, coaxial, Cat 5e / 6 premise wiring and performs initial wiring or rewiring for new subscriber services. Conducts remote troubleshooting/problem identification using appropriate test equipment and processes as appropriate.
- Installs new traditional & advanced voice & data services and equipment for subscribers. Must be able to install, configure, upgrade software, and provide basic operation instruction for all current and future services and equipment, so that the customer receives a working network / service and is instructed on how to use the service and / or equipment.
- Maintains and repairs existing equipment and services utilizing appropriate test equipment and procedures to identify and correct the customer issue. Determines necessary repairs, software upgrades, configuration or other activities which may include repair / replacement of video, voice, DSL, routers, or any networking equipment provided by the company. This work may also include repairing wiring, station protectors, ground connections, running new wires and replacing jacks, lids and pedestals as needed.
- Explain services and equipment to customers and respond to any related questions.
- Evaluates customers’ needs and suggests additional/alternative products and services as appropriate.
- Assist with peer training as needed.
- Accurately completes all installation and repair related forms and reports.
- Must be able to utilize business computers and applications required in the daily completion of required functions.
- Electronic communication with management & co-workers
Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.*
*These tasks do not meet the Americans with Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are
usually less than 5% of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
High school diploma or equivalent, plus two years of advanced voice & data telecommunications education or equivalent work experience. Two years experience in the installation and maintenance of voice, data, and advanced subscriber services plus traditional telecommunication equipment also required. Valid driver’s license required.
Preferred Qualifications & Certifications
- Computer Skills
- Previous customer service contact and sales experience
- CompTIA Network+
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- CompTIA Converge Technologies Professional (CTP+)
Ability to work independently making sound technical decisions using information available.
Ability to communicate with co-workers, customers, and various business contacts in a professional and
courteous manner with a strong emphasis on customer focus.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic electronics, basic network trouble shooting.
- Ability to read and understand network diagrams, wiring diagrams, specification sheets, configuration and installation procedures up to and including the installation or upgrade of system software.
- Knowledge of data networking, advanced digital services, IPTV, DSL, VoIP, Broadband communications, FTTH.
- Knowledge of voice & data, telecommunications CPE & outside plant equipment operations and maintenance.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality customer service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the phone.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company including promoting products and services.
- Ability to respond to and resolve customer service problems
- Knowledge of local exchange distribution network facilities.
- Knowledge of RUS practices and standards.
- Knowledge of company products and services.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Skill in operating service equipment including laptop computers, computer software used in daily operations, various hand tools and testing equipment.
- Ability to function as a team player.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as maps, staking sheets and operating and maintenance instruction manuals.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to evaluate, test and repair sophisticated equipment.
- Ability to improve or redesign procedures for specific installation/repair problems.
Skilled in operating service equipment including various hand tools and testing equipment. Must possess a valid driver’s license to drive company vehicle.
No Supervisory Responsibilities.
Physical Requirements: 0-24%, 25-49%, 50-74%, 75-100%
Seeing: Must be able to service orders and trouble reports and distinguish different cable & wire colors.
Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with employees, supervisor and business
Standing/Walking: Must be able to move about work site. 50-74%
Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling: Must be able to stoop, kneel and crawl to perform installations and climb poles, ladders, enter tunnels, buildings, trenches, crawl spaces and manholes. 50-74%
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: Must be able to lift at least 40 lbs. 50-74%
Dexterity: Must be able to write, type, and use phone system. 75-100%
This factor measures the surroundings or physical conditions under which a job must be done and the extent to which those conditions make the job disagreeable. Consider the presence and relative amount of exposure to dust, dirt, heat, fumes, contaminants, cold, noise, vibration, wetness, etc. Somewhat disagreeable working conditions due to the continuous exposure to one or more of the elements listed above. Exposed to one element continuously or several elements occasionally, but usually not at the same time.
Individuals holding this job title may be required to perform the above job duties with or without “reasonable accommodations.”
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject
to change at the discretion of the employer.
THIS INSTITUTION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER.