Employment Application – Line Technician
Job Title: Line Technician
Date Prepared: 01/01/2009
Date Reviewed: 08/13/2021
Supervisor Title: Construction Supervisor
Salary Range: T1/T2
Working Status: Fulltime
Places and maintains cable within underground conduit system. Places direct buried cable using plowing, digging, and trenching equipment. Installs and removes aerial cable, including installation of messenger strands and transfer of cable and equipment from old poles to new poles. Sets poles using a pole truck and digging and bracing equipment. Installs Central Office feeder and distribution cable. Installs protectors and demarcation devices at subscriber premises.
- Works with heavy duty power equipment and small tools in the installation, repair and maintenance of outside plant facilities.
- Loads necessary tools and heavy equipment onto trucks or trailers.
- Operates equipment such as compressors, pumps, blowers, etc., and hydraulic aerial lifts (buckets) and ladders mounted on trucks and various hand tools and testing equipment.
- Performs construction work such as digging holes and trenches, placing poles, and unreels, pulls, and strings wire strand and cable from pole to pole; pole to buildings, etc.
- Determines differences between wire and cable colors.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals and attaches or detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cable, buildings or poles.
- Dismantles, moves or removes aerial, underground or building wire, cable, associated equipment and hardware.
- Reviews work orders and complete time sheets, reports, accident reports, expense accounts as required if requested by company.
- Climbs poles, ladders, and enters tunnels, buildings, trenches, crawl spaces and manholes to place telephone cables and equipment.
- Follows established safety procedures using personal protective equipment and safety practices and can provide first-aid and artificial respiration; attends and participates in all safety and training meetings.
- Restores all disturbed surfaces such as concrete and bituminous pavement, trims trees and performs other landscaping duties.
- Lifts and moves loads up to 100 pounds+
- Required to meet DOT rules and regulations and have Commercial Driver License.
- Work outside in all kinds of weather.
Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.*
* These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
High School diploma or equivalent required. Post high school education a plus. A graduate of an accredited Lineman School or journeyman lineman certification is required along with Lineman experience. Must have current CDL and Health Card. Basic computer skills required. Technical degree /experience in electrical and mechanical field preferred.
Ability to function as a team player and make sound technical decisions using information at hand.
Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as maps, staking sheets, and operating and maintenance instruction manuals.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively function as a team player.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 100 lbs.
- Skill in operating various vehicles and construction equipment. CDL’s required.
- Skill in reading specification sheets, staking sheets and cable records.
- Knowledge of company products and services.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of telephone line construction process.
- Knowledge of telecommunications plant operations and maintenance.
Operates plowing, digging and trenching equipment, chain saw, bucket truck, and various hand tools and testing equipment. Skill & ability to operate a personal computer using database, word processing, spreadsheet software, inventory, time keeping, work order and all other required software and systems. Must be able to communicate through Microsoft Office and be able to use email for communication purposes.
No Supervisory Responsibilities unless employee is designated as Lead Line Technician.
Physical Requirements: 0-24%, 25-49%, 50-74%, 75-100%
Seeing: Must be able to service orders and trouble reports and distinguish different cable & wire colors. 75-100%
Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with employees, supervisor and business contacts. 75-100%
Standing/Walking: Must be able to move about work site. 50-74%
Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling: Must be able to stoop, kneel and crawl to perform installations and climb poles, ladders, enter tunnels, buildings, trenches, crawl spaces and manholes. 50-74%
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: Must be able to lift at least 100 lbs. 50-74%
Dexterity: Must be able to write, type, and use phone system. 75-100%
This factor measures the surroundings or physical conditions under which a job must be done and the extent to which those conditions make the job disagreeable. Consider the presence and relative amount of exposure to dust, dirt, heat, fumes, contaminants, cold, noise, vibration, wetness, etc.
Somewhat disagreeable working conditions due to the continuous exposure to one or more of the elements listed above. Exposed to cold and wet conditions in the winter and heat in the summer.
This position may be required to pass a physical abilities test, CDL drug/alcohol test, satisfactory background investigation including MVR record, and possess a valid commercial driver’s license. May be required to pass a general qualification test.
Experience in electrical and mechanical fields helpful.
Individuals holding this job title may be required to perform the above job duties with or without “reasonable accommodation.”
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
THIS INSTITUTION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER AND EMPLOYER.