- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bran flake cereal with raisins
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cereal, milk and honey; let stand for 2 minutes to soften. Stir in egg whites, applesauce and oil; mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Fill a greased or paper-lined muffin pan 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400º F for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Yield: 12 muffins
NUTRITION ANALYSIS: 150 calories, 3 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g sugar, 4 g protein.