- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups cooked corn kernels, drained
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 8 ounces shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Italian style dry bread crumbs
Stir fry okra in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 10 minutes. Place in baking dish alternating layers with drained corn. Prepare white sauce by heating remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in saucepan over low heat and blending in whole wheat flour. Cook oil and flour mixture 1 to 2 minutes. Add skim milk all at once, cooking quickly and stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Stir in cheese until blended. Pour mixture over vegetables. Sprinkle bread crumbs over casserole.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until casserole is heated through and the crumbs have browned. Makes 8, 1-cup servings.