- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sorghum syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and diced
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk, sorghum syrup and applesauce until smooth.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and combine until the batter is just moistened. Gently fold in the diced pears.
- Fill the muffin cups with the mixture. They will be full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Yield: 12 muffins. Serving size, one muffin.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS: 90 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 13g total sugars, 10g added sugars, 2g protein