- 2 cups whole wheat pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and cover to keep warm.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef and onions until beef is no longer pink.
- Drain. Return beef to skillet.
- Add carrots and spices and cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and spinach and mix well. Cover and cook an additional 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Pour into greased 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
- Bake, uncovered for 10 minutes.
Yield: 9, 1-cup servings
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS: 200 calories, 4.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugars, 18 g protein.